World-wide coordination of the research in the field to advance technological development of Micropattern Gas Detectors.
- Foster collaboration between different R&D groups; optimize communication and sharing of knowledge/experience/results concerning MPGD technology within and beyond the particle physics community
- Investigate world-wide needs of different scientific communities in the MPGD technology
- Optimize finances by creation of common projects (e.g. technology and electronics development) and common infrastructure (e.g. test beam and radiation hardness facilities, detectors and electronics production facilities)
- The RD51 collaboration will steer ongoing R&D activities but will not direct the effort and direction of individual R&D projects
- Applications area will benefit from the technological developments developed by the collaborative effort; however the responsibility for the completion of the application projects lies with the institutes themselves.